The internet is always abuzz with new trends. In recent years, it seems that an older meme has resurfaced and is currently making waves once again. The Ohio meme has left more than one internet user feeling confused.
And with several more memes showing up on TikTok, the internet has grown even more curious about what Ohio memes actually are and what they means.
For those who may not know much about Ohio, it is a state located in the midwest of the United States of America.
Not only is it in the center of the country geographically, but it has also become the center of attention on the interwebs as of late. Here we’ll learn why everybody is currently saying, “Only in Ohio.”
Origin of Ohio based memes
Ohio memes aren’t as recent as they seem, though they are blowing up right now. They actually started many years back from a meme called “Ohio vs. the World,” which gained popularity in 2016.
It was posted on Tumblr and alluded to fictitious dangers in the state as well as Ohio’s desire for world dominance.
The meme was of a bust stop with a digital screen flashing the words “Ohio will be eliminated.” It circulated on different social media platforms, from Reddit to Twitter and Instagram. The more it got around, the more people came up with Ohio-based memes that jokingly called the state a threat.
In 2019, a meme related to Ohio became incredibly popular. It was a picture painted using Microsoft Paint depicting two astronauts.
One astronaut was fully aware of Ohio’s global reign while the other had no clue that Ohio had such power and influence.
Ohio State Memes making a comeback
Recently, the users of Twitter and TikTok have started re-sharing old memes as well as new memes that make fun of Ohio.
TikTok, being the largest meme platform in recent years, catapulted Ohio memes back to popularity. Everybody is now following the hype of this meme, this time in a different version called “Only in Ohio.”
This type of meme involves creepypasta footage depicting gigantic creature attacking cities and satirically announcing that such events could only happen in Ohio.
Believe it or not, the hashtag “#onlyinohio” has over 1 billion views on TikTok!
Some of these videos are not even really related to real happenings in Ohio. The video could literally be about anything and still make fun of the state.
One such meme on TikTok showed a video of a ride at an amusement park with swings that moved people around what looked like an extension cord type of contraption.
There are other memes on TikTok showing comparisons of normal cats to the cats in Ohio, who are jokingly said to go to the gym every day. The result is a bunch of cats that are incredibly muscular, which apparently only happens in Ohio.
Many other internet users have shared pictures of wild animals roaming on the streets, of course, claiming that it is from Ohio.
Naturally, it cannot be guaranteed that all the images being shared are reflective of events that are truly taking place in Ohio. But at the same time, other memes that are even the tiniest bit related to the state have really caught the attention of internet users.
Why is Ohio a Meme
So now that we know that memes about Ohio are blowing up on the internet, we need to ask one question with a possibly complicated answer: Why?
Perhaps there is no complicated answer. Some may say it is Ohio’s somewhat bad reputation that makes it the butt of all jokes.
But perhaps the internet simply has a diverse sense of humor. If some netizens start making fun of one thing, it has the potential to grow and become a big meme for a time. Anything can go viral in an instant, and people on the internet were quick to join in on making fun of Ohio.
Netizens Not Amused
While poking fun at Ohio may be funny for some, it is actually offensive to others. Many have expressed their distaste on social media platforms.
While some may show their displeasure at the memes that are circulating, we can’t help but be entertained by them.
So without further ado, here are some of the funniest old and new Ohio memes for your laughing pleasure:
Ohio State Memes List
1. How unfortunate that the greeting for “good morning” in Japan is the same pronunciation as this state.
2. The state just attracts asteroids like magnets and iron filings.
3. When you find out someone is from Ohio and mentally check out.
4. The horror!
5. It’s time to get as far away from Ohio as humanly possible!
6. Everything is Ohio now. There is no more United States. Only Ohio.
7. In the near future, many kids will be saying, “Mom, there’s Ohio in my candy” during Halloween.
8. Just another average family living their life in Ohio.
9. Nothing to see here, just fell into a pothole again.
10. If you’ve seen one corner of Ohio, then you’ve seen the whole state.
11. Beware of the dark shadowy place called Ohio. The light doesn’t touch it for a reason.
12. Looks like someone’s going someplace way warmer than it should be.
13. There has to be a way to escape this madness in Ohio!
14. Don’t say you haven’t been warned!
15. Just stay inside grandma. It’s safer in Ohio that way.
16. One of the worst states possible to live in.
17. If Ohio’s doing anything right, it’s rounding up its drug dealers!
18. Never try to have your baby in Ohio.
19. There’s only one thing to do in Ohio that’s worthwhile: leave.
20. Cue ACDC’s “Highway to Hell” in 3-2-1… Welcome to Ohio!
21. When you’re just trying to walk and Ohio creatures attack you randomly.
22. There’s a diverse weather profile in this state, as you can see.
23. Hopefully someone can decode this secret letter that you’ve put together about “staying” in Ohio.
24. There’s just that Ohio vibe about you.
25. People in Ohio have this reaction every time the weather drops by one degree.
26. Who knows what’s real in Ohio? The seasons don’t even count here.
27. Nothing makes sense in Ohio anymore, at least weather-wise.
28. Something you can expect when you stay at any hotel in Ohio.
29. Average days in Ohio are as mundane as this meme.
30. Chemical exposure being treated as normal — only in Ohio.
31. This is anybody’s reaction after finding out that you live in Ohio.
32. Sorry Browns, no matter what the weather is like, there’s still no touch of a touchdown for you.
33. When was the last time you saw anything green in Ohio?
34. Ohio memes are just that popular among the young ones.
35. Welcome to Ohio, where we are known for our abundant potholes!
36. Weather is just the worst in Ohio.
37. If we’re going to have a bunch of potholes in Ohio, the least we can do is make them look pretty.
38. Winter is coming — no, winter is here. It is always here in Ohio.
39. This scene seems like something taken straight out of a dystopian fiction, which is basically reality in Ohio.
40. Ohio, where the weather is weathering all the time.
41. Sixteen degrees? That’s nothing!
42. A triceratops in the middle of the road? No biggie.
43. Only in Ohio would you find such a terrifying yet fascinating creature.
44. Spring in Ohio? Do you mean winter for the rest of the world?
45. Nobody cares about Ohio memes (except us, of course).
46. Ah, yes. Just another normal day in Ohio.
47. Wearing this is like wearing a badge of honor that you can truly be proud of.
48. Even the cats in Ohio are weird.
49. Nothing can control Ohio at this point.
50. It’s easy to paint Ohio. All you need to do is add more white for snow.
51. Just another relaxing late night drive in Ohio.
If you’ve reached this far and you’re still interested in going to Ohio, then we wish you luck. It might just be the best (or the worst) place to be in — at least based on these memes!
And if you loved this, make sure to also check out these trust me, i’m an engineer memes that are so funny I want to get a degree.