Where do you stand on the whole katana vs. social gatherings situation? Do you see yourself as one of the party people or do you master the katana? Do you cultivate vanity or master the blade?
If you have no idea of what we are talking about, you are in for a treat!
The “I Studied the Blade” meme comes from a catchphrase based on the expression “While You Were Partying, I Studied the Blade.” This is often used together with images of people holding katanas, and it’s meant to make fun of peers that “waste their time” with parties, sex and mundane activities, instead of… DUH!, training their katana skills!
The catchphrase originated by a Redditor, who at the beginning of January 2016 posted a macro captioned imagine onto /r/justneckbeardthings.
The post was upvoted and received more than 6,600 points! The same image was also posted on imgur, and received 1,400 points together with 1.7 million views. The image represented a man looking down, holding a katana, and read:
“When you were partying, I studied the blade. When you were having premarital sex, I mastered the blockchain. While you wasted your days at the gym in pursuit of vanity, I cultivated inner strength. And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help.“
On June 3rd, Redditor graysjsnake posted a screenshot of a Facebook post of the same image to /r/justneckbeardthings. In this version, a man in a leather jacket holds the katana.
Three months later, on September 12th, Redditor pinky0926 posted a screenshot from Facebook of a man wearing a hat and rope, with a knife in his hands, with the caption “while you slept, I studied the blade.”
The image received more than 8,200 points (87% upvoted) and 220 comments. On Tumblr, the post received more than 9,000 notes.
And, as they say, the rest is history!
It’s finally time to look at our best selection of I studied the blade memes, starting with n.1:
2. This one might come as a surprise, but there’s all sorts of people in the world!
3. Memories of a lost childhood
4. Different perspectives in life
5. This one is for car lovers:
6. We have also one for those who don’t want to choose
7. Here’s a kawaii version:
8. Something for those of you who enjoy politics
9. And for the fans of Star Wars:
10. Alexander knows what he’s talking about!
11. Who said humans were the only ones who can study the blade?
12. After all, not all dogs like to play fetch!
13. Squirrels and treats are a waste of time!
14. Here’s a suited up version!
15. Even comics’ characters study the blade!
16. Offices are full of people who study the blade!
17. Fear him!
18. Blade = stick!
19. A stylish blade student:
20. A dangerous animal!
21. Finally, someone who REALLY studies the blade!
If you enjoyed this article, you’re going to love this one about puts on sunglasses memes