Some of the best memes come from things that celebrities say or do and the ” and I took that personally ” is no different.
It might not be particularly funny in its original context, but that’s the magic of memes: the humor and creativity they bring to the table can make something extraordinary become a viral sensation.
And that is precisely what happened with this particular meme involving basketball legend Michael Jordan.
If you’ve been living under a rock and don’t know who Michael Jordan is, we’ll break it down for you before we go into how he became a meme.
Who is Michael Jordan?
Michael Jordan is considered to be the greatest basketball player of all time. This also makes him one of the greatest athletes of all time.
He was decorated with many awards, including two Olympic gold medals and a four-time gold medal recognition from USA Basketball. He was also named the USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year twice.
But many athletes win awards, and Michael Jordan goes beyond just these achievements.
His phenomenal career trajectory and incredible display of sportsmanship on and off the court is what truly makes him a basketball superstar, even up until today. Just watch one of his games on YouTube, and you’ll know what we’re talking about.
In fact, it might be worth checking out The Last Dance documentary.
What is The Last Dance?
The Last Dance is a docuseries that follows Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls as they dominated the NBA over six seasons. This catapulted not only Michael Jordan but the rest of the team into superstardom.
The Last Dance covers the 1997 to 1998 season of the team as well as focusing on the other chapters of Michael Jordan’s remarkable career.
This includes his early days as an emerging talent on his high school team to his fame as a professional basketball player.
Then coach Phil Jackson called it The Last Dance as he predicted that it would be the final year that the Chicago Bulls would maintain their phenomenal streak as the top basketball team in the NBA.
And I took that personally meme origin
The Last Dance was a rather serious and dramatic documentary. However, that didn’t stop the internet from making a meme out of it.
Throughout the documentary, Jordan’s competitiveness is clear. He repeatedly mentions how he took offense to some things, but it’s interesting to note that he never actually says the phrase in the meme, which is “And I took that personally.”
Soon after the documentary was released on Netflix, a Twitter user posted a joke about how Jordan took many things personally. This tweet gained popularity and was liked and retweeted thousands of times.
Shortly after that initial tweet, the phrase “And I took that personally” began spreading on Twitter. And that’s why we have this hilarious meme making rounds on the internet today.
Without further ado, here are 25 of the best And I took that personally memes for your enjoyment.
1. Getting called a hoax? If we were the Coronavirus, we’d take that personally too!
2. Wasps just take everything personally. Sting!
3. Kidnappers just take the whole person. Nothing personal.
4. Dentists might take offense to this, too.
5. Be careful what you say around young kids. They might just take it seriously or personally!
6. Ki-Adi was deeply affected when the droids attacked the Wookies in Star Wars. Admittedly, so were we.
7. Thanos just had a personal agenda to get rid of half of humanity.
8. All Australians took that one personally.
9. If anybody should be taking this personally, it should be the victim!
10. All grandmothers get super affected when their grandchildren show up hungry — they’re just not being fed enough!
11. I can lift more than this, thank you very much!
12. I guess that means no sexy time for him. And he took it personally.
13. Eren definitely took that one personally.
14. Get out of the way, village folk!
15. White girls take everything personally!
16. Reposters are all the same.
17. My anxiety takes everything personally.
18. House of the Dragon fans, admit it: Daemon took everything personally.
19. Not part of a fandom! I’ll show you who’s the biggest fan in this fandom!
20. Trump assumed COVID will just disappear one day, and boy did the virus take it personally.
21. Schools just take up all your free time.
22. No meme template is too old!
23. I’m pooping in here!
24. How dare he knife me when I’m trying to kill him too?
25. We’re sure all the ’90s kids took this one personally.
Whether or not you took any of these memes personally, we hope you enjoyed them.
For more fun stuff, maybe check out these struggles only people who grew up in the 90s will understand for a good laugh.