15 Minutes Late with Starbucks is a meme that everybody can totally relate to. Grab a coffee and sit down, and let us tell you about how even Starbucks coffee got turned into a meme.
All about 15 minutes late with Starbucks
If you’ve ever found yourself running late and yet you still manage to pick up some coffee on the way, then this meme is for you. 15 minutes late with Starbucks is a meme makes fun of people who are always showing up late with the usual culprit: coffee. And not just any coffee – it has to be the one and only Starbucks.
Origins of the meme
How did a meme about Starbucks coffee get to be so popular? Well firstly, it’s pretty relatable. Most people love and depend on coffee, and they’re willing to sacrifice a few minutes (especially since they’re already late) to grab that cup of joe.
It all started with a tweet about Taylor Swift.
Now, what has Taylor Swift got to do with Starbucks coffee? On September 3, 2012, Twitter user emre (@chanelpuke) poked fun at the singer, tweeting that she looked like the kind of person who would show up late to class because of Starbucks:
“taylor swift looks like those white girls who show up 10 minutes late to class with starbucks every day.”
– emre (@chanelpuke)
The tweet didn’t go super-viral, but it did get 1,000 retweets and 700 likes within the span of 6 months.
Rise in popularity
Now this is where the phrase “15 minutes late with Starbucks” started to become a meme. The earliest version of this meme became popular on Tumblr. One user posted an illustration of a character from a webcomic called Homestuck holding a Starbucks coffee. It was captioned “Enters the Medium 15 minutes late with Starbucks.” The post became so popular it received over 3,000 notes.
Another Tumblr user used the same joke, saying that even babies born late are probably getting Starbucks first.
The reference continued to spread in the Homestuck webcomic spaces as the meme continued to gain popularity.
So now that you’ve arrived at this point in the article and if you still have your Starbucks, here are some memes you can enjoy with your coffee – whether you’re 15 minutes late or not.
1. No use crying over spilt milk… er, Starbucks.
2. Joseph missed out on all the action for some Starbucks.
3. Already late, so of course you can count on him to have some Starbucks.
4. Sorry not sorry for my Starbucks run.
5. Just casually walking in during the middle of a lecture with my Starbucks.
6. Yes, yes I did show up 15 minutes late with that Starbucks in my hand.
7. Even Legolas had to stop by for some Starbucks.
8. And not just any beverage – Starbucks!
9. That’s right. I’m late AND I’ve got Starbucks!
10. I can’t help it – the line was long!