Attention! This is very addictive, but before we start playing the “Will You press the button?” meme game, let’s find out what it is and how it came to be.
Will You Press The Button origin and history
If you’re not familiar with it, well, it presents you with an hypothetical desirable situation and its downside. All you have to do is choose if you’ll do it, given the downside. Will you press the red button or not?
Pressing the red button has always been a way of activating a powerful force. The idea originates from a 1970’s short story in which a couple receives a locked box with a special button: every time they press the button, they’ll receive $50,000, but at the same time, someone they didn’t know will die. The story has since been readapted in movies and, well, in memes. Because why not?
“Will you press the button,” the meme series that we’re going to discuss here was first a single serving site, launched in 2013. It was followed by a free Android app and a Facebook fan page that got more than 7,100 likes. 12 days after being launched, the site reached one million interactions and in 3 months, that number got up to 10 million.
5 months away from the launch, there were 26 million answers provided by visitors; the button was pressed almost 11 million times and avoided more than 15 million times.
But enough with these numbers! Let’s see what it’s all about!
1. Well, don’t care what people think! Will you press the button?
2. Tough one!
3. Cool! That it’s actually how Superman works, right? You got superpowers you can use to do anything you want. Does it matter if no on knows?
4. Nope! What do you say?
5. Some may say, this can be very pleasant…
7.Nope, we’d better keep our clothes on! It’s enough we got the big, orange guy…
8. This sounds familiar. I think there were some people who pressed the button on this
9. Eternal life? Nah, sounds boring!
10. Who wants to live in Anime show?
11. All the good-hearted people pressed this button!
12. Well, passion asks for sacrifices
13. If it’s just for 3 years…well….
14. It’s ok not to be liked by everyone in school
15. Fly, fly away, little butterfly!
16. Sounds like a lonely, boring life
17. So what? You can still save people’s lives!
19. I will not!
20. Sounds dangerous!
21. C’mooon! Who makes these questions?
22. Interesting… Sounds tempting. We want to know will you press the button or not?
23. Well… it is a matter of taste
24.I’d better stay the forgetful girl
25. I can use part of the money to pay for public transportation! I mean, it’s $3000 a month
27. I think we forget for a reason, and that is our own sanity. So this is a painful no
28. As long as you do not die from the headache…
29. Then what’s the use of it?
Obviously we could just go on and on and add to this list of will you press the button pictures forever, maybe we will LOL. I promise to try and update this list from time to time with newer and more pics.